Features to look for in a Smoothie Maker
When thinking about buying a smoothie maker, a few moments noting down the key features to look for will ensure you get the right model for your requirements as well as saving you time and perhaps wasted money as well.
My ‘magnificent seven’ of features to look for are:-
1. Power. Look for a model with a good, powerful motor. About 500W is the minimum for a 1.25 litre jug size, to ensure that your machine is up to the job and will last you a good long while. Many machines have 700 watts and if you go for a larger jug size, around 1.5 litres, this is probably the best size to go for. Cord storage is a neat feature that keeps everything tidy when the smoothie maker is not in use.
2. Speed. Look for a model with variable speeds. Up to five speeds is about enough and a pulse setting to give that extra burst of power when dealing with larger chunks of fruit, or to crush ice.
3. Non-slip feet. Just about essential to avoid the smoothie maker moving around when in operation.
4. A glass jug. Glass is much less likely to scratch than plastic. Scratched plastic has the potential to harbour bacteria, a glass jug can be efficiently cleaned in the dishwasher.
5. Removable parts for cleaning. Taps and blades should be removable for ease of cleaning. Look for a model with dishwasher safe parts.
6. A filter or strainer. This is the finishing touch to the perfect smoothie for me, a filter that will remove any unwanted pips or seeds.
7. A stirring stick. Choose a model that enables a stirring stick to be inserted through the lid to dislodge any pieces stuck to the sides to ensure that everything gets thoroughly blended. Obviously, this process is done with the motor switched OFF!
My top three recommended models which score high on the features list and which are available in UK are,
COOKWORKS SIGNATURE JUG BLENDER
Price around £25
This is a 700W model. It has five speeds and a pulse setting. It has a 1.5 litre glass jug, non-slip feet and a neat cord storage.
Philips HR2094 Aluminium Chrome/Black Blender 750w
Price around £65
This model has a powerful 750W motor with multispeed and pulse functions. It has a filter and a 1.5 litre glass jug. It looks very smart with it’s non-scratch aluminium finish and has very smart illuminated switches. It also comes with a free recipe book.
Kitchenaid Artisan Blender
This KitchenAid 5-Speed Artisan Blender is currently on sale, making it a fantastic buy! Ithas a powerful 0.9 horsepower motor and a 56 oz. contoured pitcher. Superfast blending thanks to the patented KitchenAid blender blade which strikes at 4 planes for optimum performance. It also has a commercial-grade polycarbonate pitcher that is super -tought and lightweight and is resistant to extremes of temperature as well as scratches and staining. Push button ice crushing, pulse feature for any speed so you can puree hot soups or chop hard vegetables and fruits as well as making batters, smoothies and shakes.