Use your smoothie maker to make a smoothie and you are getting the whole fruit, with all its goodness, including the fibre-rich pulp so essential for the health of our digestive tract.
Drinking fruit juice, as we all know is good for our health because of all the vitamins, antioxidants and trace minerals contained in it.
Juice though is just juice, just a part of the fruit that you get by putting it through a press or a juicer.
There are two sorts of fibre, soluble and insoluble. The table below showing some of the fruits most usually included in Smoothies, shows that they are a good source of both.
Soluble fibre lowers cholesterol levels and helps to control blood sugar. It contains gums and pectin.
Insoluble fibre helps you to have regular bowel movements by making stools soft and more bulky. It helps to prevent constipation and long term health problems such as bowel cancer. Insoluble fibre contains lignin, hemicellulose and cellulose.
Top five benefits of drinking smoothies.
1. A healthy smoothie is a good way to get your children to eat the delicious fruits and vegetables that they might otherwise refuse at mealtimes.
2. With a smoothie maker, a smoothie is a quick to prepare and very efficient way of topping up our recommended five portions of fruit and vegetables each day.
3. Use your smoothie maker to get a fruit energy boost, without having to get a ‘hit’ of caffeine from coffee.
4. By carefully selecting the ingredients of your smoothies, you can use smoothies for a natural body detox and give yourself a health spa treat in a glass.
5. Because they are quick and easy to prepare in the morning, they can be taken to work in a vacuum flask to keep cool and drunk throughout the day.
Buy a smoothie maker, make your own, home-made smoothies and save money. A home-made smoothie will cost you about half the price of a store-bought one and is much, much cheaper than buying one in a café or restaurant.
An added bonus to making your own smoothies at home in your smoothie maker is that shop-bought ones are often heat-treated (pasteurised) so that they stay fresh longer, you will only be drinking the freshest and most nutritious smoothies if you make them at home.
Bestselling Smoothie Maker Blenders
|Oster 4093 Classic Beehive Blender, Chrome
|Oster 6812-001 Core 16-Speed Blender with Glass Jar, Black
|Hamilton Beach 54615 Wavestation Express Dispensing Blender with 48-Ounce Jar, Black